Primary Zelda Hacking
April 21, 2014, 09:21:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Current Zelda Oracles Hacking Suite beta version: 0.05

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: frequent "unintended exception" problem  (Read 83 times)
katage
Newcomer

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2014, 01:01:05 AM »

I keep getting the message about an "unintended exception" and "Index was outside the bounds of the array" for my files. I just lost the most recent version of my hack New Awakening due to fiddling with Kanalet Castle warps (I had no trouble adding extra ones, but changing the existing ones caused crashes) and when I used the patch on a new copy of the rom to get the second-most recent version back, it gave the "unintended exception" message right when I opened up LALE. I've had the message come up on other copies of the Link's Awakening rom, like on Hard Awakening and the unaltered rom, but never my own hack. I tried saving the hack after that message came up--without making any changes--but when I opened it in VisualBoy and tried to move down a screen, it went into an endless loop of scrolling down, screen after screen, to the south. I then pasted over that rom with a duplicate I created before, before opening and saving it on LALE, and it ran in VisualBoy fine.

So, the message never came up on the original hack, but when I tried to use it on a patched rom, it did come up, and I was unable to save anything on it with LALE without inducing that infinite scrolling bug. If I can't change this, I will not be able to modify that version of the hack, the version that came from the patch. I have earlier copies due to some paranoia after losing all my progress on level 6 due to tweaking Wind Fish's Egg warps, but ostensibly I should be able to create a patch from a hacked rom, use it to patch a different rom, and then tweak that second rom with LALE and eventually produce another patch. Otherwise I can only make patches from the original rom files, and if I ever lose those, I will hit a dead end and will not be able to modify my hack any further. I shouldn't have lost much progress, but I don't know what changes there are between the latest (and only) patch file, which dates back to the 8th, and the latest rom file, which dates back to the 6th.
Fatories
LALE Creator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 07:39:40 AM »

I believe that you are using a Link's Awakening ROM that isn't version 1.2. When I created LALE, I specifically worked with and programmed around a 1.2 Link's Awakening ROM (Legend of Zelda, The - Link's Awakening DX (U) (V1.2) [C][!]). Using other versions results in unintended exception problems.
You can check your ROMs version by using a hex editor and looking at the value at 0x014C (the value should obviously be 02).

The force of a true man can penetrate all. Nothing is safe.
katage
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »

It was a 1.0. I patched to a 1.2 version and the message no longer came up. Yet I don't seem to have any .rar archives that contain a 1.2 version of LA, which suggests I've been making edits on a 1.0 rom all along... but then, when I was making my hack, I noticed that the message never came up when I worked on my hack, but (I think) always came up when I opened other roms. Which would suggest all of my rom files were always 1.0, except for that one file which was 1.2, and I have no .rar archive indicating I ever used such a thing. Odd. But now I know how to avoid the problem. Thanks. I would never have considered trying that.
Fatories
LALE Creator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:35:34 AM »

No problem, I probably should have implemented a check and added a notification to LALE to help people avoid this issue.

The force of a true man can penetrate all. Nothing is safe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: