Primary Zelda Hacking
April 21, 2014, 09:21:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: There is now an official Primary Zelda Hacking Press!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Text editing problem  (Read 115 times)
katage
Newcomer

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2014, 05:00:01 AM »

I started using LALE a few days ago and am about halfway through a revising of the eight dungeons. I have attempted to edit the owl dialogue for the sake of atmosphere and add some textual hints here and there (the new dungeon order is 12384576, which warrants some rerouting), but I'm having some trouble getting it to stick. I know that you need to click save as well as click "accept" in the text editor for any change to be saved, but when I pull up the game on VisualBoy, the new text does not appear. I've already had some success, getting some lines of text to change and get rendered correctly. In fact, the text I'm having trouble with, the Lanmola text, is the tail end of an owl dialogue I wrote. I think the problem might have something to do with me exceeding the original length of that owl dialogue, and the extra text overwriting other lines of text.
I know the traffic here is pretty light--which is surprising, considering how excellent this tool is--but I wanted to ask. Are there any ideas what might be the problem?
Fatories
LALE Creator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 01:21:54 AM »

If you are seeing a portion of text you've written and nothing else then it is probably exactly what you said (the text was longer than the original length). There are no set lengths for text in Link's Awakening, the game just has pointers as to where to start reading text from and then a marker so it knows where to stop. For the Lanmola text the game is still reading from its original location which is the owl statue text now.

To fix this you will have to use the repoint tool that is a part of the text editor. Basically you find a new address (for this you could just go to whatever location is after your owl statue text, which would probably be the remnants of the Lanmola's text) and then you will repoint the Lanmola's text to that location. Then you can just edit the text at that location and the game will read it from there. Alternatively you can open the ROM in a hex editor and look for free space (00s) and repoint to a location that has adequate space for the text you want.

The force of a true man can penetrate all. Nothing is safe.
katage
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 04:38:12 AM »

Great! That helps a lot. Unfortunately, I just ran into a new problem a few minutes ago. I just finished the last dungeon for a hack of Link's Awakening and I seem to have broken the warp in the Wind Fish's Egg. Since I used the book in the library to give directions for a complex puzzle instead of directions through the egg maze, I wanted to rig the egg so that it would warp the player directly into the boss room, bypassing the maze entirely. When I changed the warps, the game crashed on entering the Egg. I've changed the warps back to their original settings, based on the settings I found on a clean rom I had for just that purpose, but the crash persists. I get the error message "Unknown opcode fd at 675a." Is there any way to reverse this? The project is already complete besides a few textual revisions; this is the last obstacle before I have a new game.
katage
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 09:50:09 PM »

More testing and I found that the error recurred even outside the context of the Wind Fish's Egg. Like when I loaded an earlier save from Eagle's Tower or the Face Shrine and it froze up with the same error message after trying to enter the former and press the start button in the latter.
Fatories
LALE Creator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 01:49:50 AM »

Based on what you've told me I am unable to discern what the error may be. There certainly shouldn't have been any error created by you editing the warp and I am certain there wasn't as I tried myself and you said that its happening throughout the ROM now.

My only guess would be that you somehow wrote text over some important data in the ROM and it is now causing issues all over the place.

The force of a true man can penetrate all. Nothing is safe.
katage
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 03:32:28 AM »

Thankfully I've fixed most of the damage. The rom is still broken but I had an earlier copy of the rom, before I wrote over the raft ride and revised the last dungeon. In the new rom I've restored most of the content, by hand. It took a few hours but the changes I've made are back, though I need to do more to fix up the owl dialogues. Other than that, it's basically finished.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: