Primary Zelda Hacking
April 21, 2014, 09:24:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: There is now an official Primary Zelda Hacking Press!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Static Objects  (Read 84 times)
BigTarantula99

Revamper of ZOLE 4 for ZOLE 4.5

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2014, 03:23:28 AM »

Lin, you probably eventually saw this question coming Smiley
Okay, hopefully this will be one of the last things I need to know, even though I probably said that in the last post, too.  Static objects are dungeon-only, stay where they are until you leave the dungeon, etc.  Correct me if I'm wrong:  they work kinda like interactions with the index basically being the identifier of the object (you know what I'm trying to say). I know the map, X, and Y values of them.  But I was taking a look around in the Nature demo you sent me (the primary reasons I wanted Nature were so I could get some motivation for my own hack, and so I could check what you did with some interactions and scripts so I could figure some things out on my own without asking so many questions here) and I was looking at the first floor on Level 2.  I noticed that the same three static objects were in every room here in the same location, showing as red boxes.  Why is this?  I'm assuming they only get interacted with in one room (makes sense).

In some rooms, there are objects marked as green boxes.  These seem to only appear in one room.  Besides that, what's the difference between the two colors?

Finally, could you give a basic tutorial on how to add one?  The things I basically don't know are the object factor, unknown (obviously, no pun intended), and ID.  Well, I know that the ID is the actual object, but what are IDs of common static objects, like the colored block and mine cart, and what are some other static objects commonly used in dungeons?

BTW, Nature is amazing, if I haven't already mentioned that in the IRC.  Besides getting enjoyment out of playing the hack, I've found out a few things about ZOSE and hacking I didn't know before just by example, like getting the arrow shooters on the wall to actually shoot arrows.  I'm sure I'll figure out a lot more too.  Awesome hack and thanks for it!  Too bad it'll never be finished Sad
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:17:18 AM by BigTarantula99 » Logged

Proud part of the IRCs #smwc and #ZOLE as BigT.

CURRENTLY HACKING:  MISICS (OoA)
Completion Status: 12%

-BigT
Lin
ZOLE Creator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 04:05:26 AM »

Simple. Static objects appear in all rooms because of a design choice. Since they're consistent in every dungeon and only a couple here and there, it's much easier to be able to see all of them at once. So when you choose to display them, what you see is every static object in that dungeon. If one appears red, it means it's located in another room. If it's green, it means it's in the room you're viewing.

Index: This is like interaction index. Which static object are you editing? is what this means. -1 means none, 0 means the first, 1 means the second, etc.
Map: The map the static object is located at by default. Where it starts.
Unknown: I can't remember. It seems to commonly be 3. Play around with it and see what happens.
ID: If memory serves me right, this is just the first byte in an interaction ID. It controls what kind of object appears. 16 is a cart.
Object factor: I don't remember, but something tells me ID and object factor should go together. I believe they're basically just an interaction ID. Like to spawn a static ZOSE script object, ID would be 72 and object factor would (likely) be the index of the script.
X and Y: Pretty obvious.

Feel free to pop in the IRC for any additional questions, or just post them here. And thank you. It is getting old now which means Fatories and I didn't know as much when making it, but it did have a lot of neat dungeon puzzles. My favorite are the level 2 any-order-challenge thing, where each time you completed one of the challenges a platform on the ground floor before the boss would appear. Level 3 was my favorite, with the (WARNING SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T COMPLETED IT) Link's Awakening boss key puzzle and Pokemon 1st generation switch "puzzle". There were quite a few assembly hacks and nifty scripts overall.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: