Primary Zelda Hacking
April 21, 2014, 09:27:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The website has switched hosts and now has the domain zeldahacking.net!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Messed-up sprites even with correct bank  (Read 318 times)
ArchProctor
Newcomer

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2013, 03:23:04 AM »

I have a room in dungeon 2/region 1, and I use sprite bank 61 to display wizzrobes. This bank was used for them in Face Shrine, but upon entering this new room of mine, they are incorrectly displayed. Bank 27 is also used for them, and I have the same problem with that one. But I have noticed that if I push start in the room and then go back to the game, then they appear normal. If I subsequently leave the room and come back, they still appear normal, so pressing start in the wizzrobe room apparently fixes this, but it's annoying for them to be messed up at all.

Wizzrobes never appeared in dungeon 2 in the original game, of course. Could that be behind this?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:42:53 AM by ArchProctor » Logged
Lin
ZOLE Creator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »

Fatories made a video explaining this. It's not a glitch. For some reason, the game won't always load a new spriteset value you have set. This is evident by going left of the first room in level 1 and clipping through the wall to go up. The moldorm will be messed up, even though the spriteset value is properly set. The same effect can be seen with palettes.
ArchProctor
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 04:27:45 AM »

Thanks for the reply Lin.

The Update 5 video? I've seen it, so I heard about palette issues. I watched it again just now. At 7:18 he took that very path you described in Tail Cave (left from start, and two up) to show off the palette screwup, but the moldorm was actually fine. It did look messed up at 12:00, but that was due to changing the sprite bank in LALE before going back into that room. If it's the same effect with palettes as you said, would that then mean that going in a "natural" path (for example up one, left one in Tail Cave) should load sprites correctly? I tried this with wizzrobes and I'm having the same issue.

But still, pausing and unpausing the game reverts them. I also noticed since my first post sometimes that the reverse happens. Enemies appear as they should, but pausing/unpausing screws them up.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:06:35 AM by ArchProctor » Logged
Fatories
LALE Creator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 04:29:49 AM »

Currently I have no answer as to why that is. It is definitely something related to the game itself and not the editor though. That is really all I can say for this issue currently.

The force of a true man can penetrate all. Nothing is safe.
ArchProctor
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 05:44:33 AM »

Alright then. I wasn't trying to say the editor was doing anything wrong or whatever, it's just an annoyance and I merely wanted to see if you or anyone else might know why the game's doing it, that's all. It does seem that the issues goes away in regions 5 and 6, which is where this particular enemy normally shows up, so I guess this is an unavoidable problem for now if you put wizzrobes in any other region. Although keese do appear in region 1, and there was that thing where if I pause and unpause, the keese get screwed up in a region 1 room. Just something for you to be aware of, even if it's not worth fixing. Thanks guys for the help.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:41:10 AM by ArchProctor » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: