Primary Zelda Hacking
April 21, 2014, 09:25:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Current Zelda Oracles Hacking Suite beta version: 0.05

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help With Map Script  (Read 188 times)
Radz
Newcomer

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:55:17 PM »

I am having a problem with a map script that's messing up my map.  It's the script from the area just south of Symmetry City.  Best guess is that it is where the seed grows into vines up the cliff if placed in the proper place.  Due to the nature of my hack, I'm likely never going to use this sort of script for anything, but I cannot get rid of it either since I am using all 16x16 screens for the overworld which means I cannot simply dump them in an empty screen.

Also, on the subject of maps, can you get your map to work on a hack?  I ask because as I explore it doesn't change from unexplored blocks on the map.  I haven't played Oracle of Ages in a while so I don't remember if you got a map item or something for the overworld or what.

Lin
ZOLE Creator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:28:24 PM »

Yes, and it's actually pretty easy - but note the script will never function again unless you revert the change. In the map script chooser, below the second box you'll see a label containing 0x#####. In a hex editor, go to that address and replace the byte there with C9. If you care to know why, map scripts use assembly and the address is the start of the procedure it uses. C9 in assembly is return, so as soon as it starts the procedure it quits it.

Regarding the in-game map, you can't edit the overworld tiles, icon that comes up on them, or text that's associated with them. The game should still change whether or not they've been explored though, so I'm not sure what the deal is. You can access the map in-game by pressing Select. I take it you've used the "remove beginning locks" patch, right?
Radz
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:49:09 PM »

I have clicked it and I have since clicked the ASM patch button a few times for good measure.  It has to have worked because I can pull up the map and inventory from the starting screen, but I am just not sure what's going on with the map.  If the map functionality cannot be changed anyhow, this may be just fine anyhow since no info is better than conflicting info I guess.

Radz
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 02:39:10 PM »

I think I've figured out what was going on with the map.  It seems if the screen's time flag is set incorrectly on a screen you warp to, it will not update the map in that time period...at least that seems to be what was happening with me.  For some reason a bunch of the screens have the wrong time flagged...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: