Primary Zelda Hacking
April 21, 2014, 09:25:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: There is now an official Primary Zelda Hacking Press!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Community Project?  (Read 3149 times)
Supreme Dirt

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »

I know a number of us are working on our own projects.

However, I'm thinking of perhaps doing a collaborative hack. A complete Zelda hack, in part to show off what ZOLE, ZOSE, and the rest can do.

Now, I'm going to try and be a bit more active over the next while, but the main issue would be figuring out how to go about this.

I'm thinking that a story-heavy game with difficult puzzles would be interesting to do. We'd just have to write a good story.

So, your thoughts?
Gamma 31

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:37:18 PM »

I think a story would be kind of difficult to do, technically; however, with ZOSE's abilities, we could make our own cutscenes. I'd be willing to help with a story, and some overworld stuff.
Supreme Dirt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:40:39 PM »

Well, yeah, we'd definitely have to put some effort into it.
Gamma 31

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:48:14 PM »

Which ROM would we base it off of, though? If we went with Seasons, we would encounter more technical issues but have a large single overworld and the Rod of Seasons; Or we could go with Ages, with the double world mechanic and a lot less issues. Dungeons don't really matter; we can completely redesign them.
Supreme Dirt

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:57:42 PM »

I'm personally thinking Seasons. If it's a community project type thing, any major issues should be able to get ironed out. It also gives us the RC Boomerang and Roc's Cape.
Gamma 31

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »

I just thought of something- If we did Seasons, we'd have two times as much work as Ages. With Ages, we'd only have to make two overworlds. Seasons has four versions of each overworld, depending on the season, plus Subrosia.

...however, I would absolutely LOVE to create a dungeon using the Temple of Seasons' tileset...
Jigglysaint
Hacking Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »

How about a change in the map switch mechanics?  Does the game have to revolve around seasons?  What if instead it was the 4 elements, and you cycled between earth, air, fire and water?  Furthermore, I was thinking of perhaps a cloud dungeon.  You could have a dungeon, like level 6 that takes place in a small tower.  When you reach the top, you have to use a trapoline to reach the clouds.  Also the overworld needs not have every screen have 4 varients.  The desert in Seasons is the same for all 4 seasons, and in some areas in the mountains, there only exists maps in the winter set.  All others have empty screens where the maps would be.  You could design some areas to be one season(or in my suggestion's case, one element), and just not permit map changing there.
Supreme Dirt

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 08:08:58 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking about things other than seasons that we could do, similar to how in my Ages hack, you aren't traveling through time. Elements would be pretty cool, too. Also, going above the clouds sounds pretty cool.

And also, Gamma, yes, we have the Temple of Seasons tileset without having to import it. Which is really, really cool.
Gamma 31

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »

How would the four elements work? What differ about them from seasons?
Supreme Dirt

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 08:24:54 PM »

Well, water element would have water, fire would give us lava, earth would probably be more desert or just plants in general, and wind would bring all the things that might connotate.

For example, take an area which under earth your way is blocked by, say, a tree. Changing the areas elemental affinity to Fire might turn the tree to lava, and now you can jump across.
Gamma 31

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 08:30:34 PM »

Ah... I see...

Well, is anyone actually interested in this community project? I think we should see if anyone wants to do this before we start thinking of anything.
Jigglysaint
Hacking Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 08:30:56 PM »

I was thinking like elemental planes of existance(sort of a Dungeons and Dragons thing).  For example, the fire element area would be like Subrosia, but the same area could then be turned into somthing with water, or clouds.  Earth would be the base area, and it would look like normal.  A good example would be if you took the village, and you entered the fire plane.  There you would see volcanos and seas of magma, rather than trees and flowers.  Enter the dimention of air, and suddenly you are on top of clouds and might even be able to catch a gust of wind to jump further.  The dimention of water would have rivers and oceans.  How it could all tie together is somthing done in one dimention is carried over to the other 3, except in different ways.  Also this means that the dungeons could be themed, 2 based off of each element.  There are some other things too you can use, like how earth is often associated with the undead(so a crypt could be an earth based level).  You could even create a forest dungeon, complete with trees and stuff.  Of course it all would be a massive undertaking.
Gamma 31

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 08:35:05 PM »

OH! I understand now! I was thinking you meant different version of each map, like the seasons.  Wink  Now I see that you mean each overworld map would become a different 'realm.' OK.

Yeah, it would take a big effort to actually come up with a story, make dungeons, make overworlds with puzzless...
Supreme Dirt

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 08:36:33 PM »

It's not like we're running on a schedule, though.
Jigglysaint
Hacking Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 08:39:23 PM »

Well the first thing we should try to do is make a proof of concept.  I would start by taking an area and making it have a fire relm couterpart(since Subrosia is already in the game).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: